Materials collected for the IEEE Computer Society History Committee's unfinished project about the IEEE 802 standard
The following references and materials perhaps will be useful to others who desire to study the history of the IEEE 802 standard.
Books that covering aspect of the 802 standard
- The Triumph of Ethernet: Technological Communities and the Battle for the LAN Standard,
Urs von Burg, Stanford Business Books, 2002, 320 pages.
- The Innovation Journey of Wi-Fi: The Road to Global Success, Wolter Lemstra, Vic Hayes, and John Groenewegen, Cambridge University Press, 2010, 432 pages.
- A History of Computer Communications 1968-1988, James, Pelkey, www.historyofcomputercommunications.info.
(To understand what is at this marvelous website, see the sitemap. Chapter IX is particularly relevant to the 802 standard, i.e., sections 9.2, 9.3, and 9.4.
Interview of Bob Stewart by Steve Diamond
- mp3 audio file of 2007-10-25 interview of Bob Steward by Steve Diamond (a 58MB file).
- Provenance of the 2007-10-25 recording.
- Transcript of 2007 interview of Bob Stewart by Steve Diamond (a PDF)
- Time log of 2007-10-25 questions (.txt file)
Information from Maris Graube
Information, images, and a reference from Gary Robinson relating to the 802.3 standard
References collected by Willis King
While we do not have permission to post the following on the web, we do have copies of each of the following.
- IEEE Standards in Communications and Networking, guest editorial, Alexander D. Gelman, Steven Mills, and Robert S. Fish, IEEE Communications Magazine, July 2008, pp. 30-31.
- High Performance Wireless Ethernet, by Chris Heegard, John (Séan) T. Coffey, Srikanth Gummadi, Peter A. Murphy, Ron Provencio, Eric J. Rossin, Sid Schrum, and Matthew B. Shoemake, IEEE Communications Magazine, November 2001, pp. 64-73.
- IEEE 802.11n Development: History, Process, and Technology, Eldad Perahia, IEEE Communications Magazine, July 2008, pp. 48-55.
- A Technical Tutorial on the IEEE 802.11 Protocol, Pablo Brenner, Breezecom Wireless Communications, July 18, 1996, 24 pages.
- 802.11n: Next-Generation Wireless LAN Technology, Broadcom white paper, April 2006, 13 pages.
- IEEE 802.11 Wireless Local Area Networks, Brian P. Crow, Indra Widjaja, Jeong Geun Kim, and Prescott T. Sakai, IEEE Communications Magazine, September 1997, pp. 116-126.
- The IEEE Standards Association and Its Ecosystem, F. D. (Don) Wright, IEEE Communications Magazine, July 2008, pp. 32-39.
Fast-handoff Support in IEEE 802.11 Wireless Networks, Sangheon Pack, Jaeyoung Choi, Taekyoung Kwon, and Yanghee Choi, IEEE Communication Surveys, 1ST Quarter 2007, Volume 9, No. 1, pp. 2-12.
IEEE Project 802 Standards Efforts, Ronald W. Gibson, Computer, August 1990, pp. 84-89.